Sunday, June 4, 2017

Making Your Own French Fries

One of the best things you could ever do to promote independence and revolution against the modern world is to "do-it-yourself" as much as you possibly can. We have developed a culture where everything is convenient and easy. It's so easy to go to the grocery store and buy ready-made meals or go through a drive through. So what in order to promote a life of slow-living, I am going to go back to blogging weekly with a DIY tip aimed at people in their early 20's.

Today I want to share one of my favorite food-preps: making homemade french fries! This is so great. I want you to think of the prices you pay for the bags of french fries in the freezer sections at your local corporate versus a bag of potatoes and how long the bag would last you if cut the entire bag into fries. I can make mine last quite a while -- for now, it is just my husband and I. Obviously DIY was the best choice for us. The flavor is also so much better... you can add seasoning, just salt, or just leave them plain (my preference). The sky is the limit!




First, you should wash the potatoes you are going to use especially if they are store bought. I like to soak them for 5 minutes in hot water and then rinse them off and lay them on a long dish towel. Next, collect your sharp knife, cutting board, and gallon freezer bags. Also, if you are going to use any seasoning, add a little to the bottom of the bag before adding the slices of potato in.

Next, chop them up in any shape you desire. I like to make some in the french fry shape, but also to chop them up like chips (you can prepare them like you do your french fries or look up how to make your own potato chips! Since hubby loves his chips, I plan to do this later and of course share my experience!). These can be used also for scalloped potatoes if you are a fan!

It is completely up to your family and you how much you chop up. I like to fill a whole gallon freezer bag with each shape I chop up. Remember not to go overboard in the amount of taters that you freeze, as they probably shouldn't be eaten after a year from the date they were frozen.

After you have chopped them up, put the slices in you sink filled with ice cold water for 5 to 10 minutes, then drain and rinse again. Add the slices to the bag, fill with seasoning if desired, then shake to evenly distribute seasonings. Release all of the air from the bag (or vacuum seal if you are lucky enough to have one). If you have a permanent marker, it is probably best to add the date and purpose of the bag onto the label so that you can keep track of expiration dates. If you know the date, add it to the label.

I know that this tutorial is nothing fancy or perfect... but it's a step towards self preservation - and it's beautiful. The flavor, in my opinion, tops any fast food restaurant I have ever been to. Homemade is ALWAYS where it's at when it comes to food.  I used Russet Potatoes for these bags, but you can also try sweet potatoes, red potatoes, etc. Even better if you grow your own potatoes - something I hope to accomplish here very soon, the moment I can get my hands on a healthy seed potato! Please let me know if you have any tips or advice for me in the comments, and of course let me know how these turn out for you if you try them! I am always up to learn more or give any advice if you think I have missed something!

No comments:

Post a Comment